Monday, January 24, 2011

Päivitys!

First and foremost, karjalanpiirakka (pies) are amazing!

Porridge rice wrapped in rye or wheat pastry. Light butter and cheese topping = yum.
Okay, moving on. It's been a fairly productive week. Besides being really sick. I took several days off. On Thursday I doodled a bit, made a random small oil painting for our place, and was invited to a get-together by one of the classmates. It was a quaint little party, lots of conversation. Thanks to Patrick's generous purchase of a desperately-needed hair dryer and straightener, I glammed up for the shindig.

BAMF.. not. Except for the illusion of a wave chest tattoo..?
Of course, we forgot to take any pictures or video. But there are plenty of opportunities ahead for that. We visited some bars, sang some karaoke, and called it a night.

I spoke to my professor today, and we'll be figuring out my new class tomorrow after cleaning. Today was the last day of model painting, which meant review/critique for everyone. The review consisted mainly of two professors talking about the works, rather than the students. They save that for independent works at the end of the season. My one lil' painting was received well enough, considering it was my first ever oil painting of a nude model (on MDF board, mind you).

Unfortunately, I also learned how they made their frames for canvases. They don't have the lovely little nail gun or anything like that: it's just manual hammering. Blugh. Who knew art would require so much manual labor outside of creating imagery? ;P Kidding. It's a novelty.

I will hopefully be attending the International Student Gathering in Pori for SAMK exchange students next Thursday. Should be fun. And also, good news: I found the washer! Clean clothes at last! (When Patty wakes up, anyway.) We simply have to go to the other side of the building, hah.

Oh. Pretty sure I'll be taking Snow/ice Sculpture class. :)

1 comment:

  1. Laura-

    So great to read your blog. I'm looking into studying there next spring and reading your experiences makes me so much less worried as to what's to come. Thanks for sharing!

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete